Saturday, April 9, 2016

The Secret to Losing Weight

"A thousand mile journey starts with one step." -Lao Tzu
Photo from Google Images


              The big secret to losing weight and getting healthy isn’t such a secret. Since I’ve been trying so hard to be more health conscious, I have been bombarded with ads and brilliant new secrets to shedding extra pounds. It is as easy as trying this product or using that workout DVD. It’s as effortless as wearing this wrap or swallowing these diet pills. I have read countless articles where women claim to have lost fifty pounds while using this exercise product or eating that weight loss bar. I would be lying if I said some of these products didn’t dupe me. But at twenty seven years old, I have come to find the one not-so-secret tip for losing weight and being healthier. Eat well and move your body. That’s it! No pills, bars, fads, shakes, wraps, patches, or machines needed. Just eat well and get moving.
              I won’t speak poorly of particular healthy living programs that encourage participants to use portion control methods while still eating the foods they love and exercising regularly. I have friends who participate in or coach others through these programs and these women have done incredible things. But that’s my point. It isn’t about dieting. It is about changing your life to eat the foods your body needs and working to get in shape and become stronger.
         
     The trick is to find a healthy lifestyle that you love. It sounds simple, but it is something I have struggled with. I’ve been experimenting with this, and I’ve recently come to the conclusion that, and this may shock some family members, I actually love healthy foods. I also love cheeseburgers, but I have had to remind myself again and again that if I just eat greasy, fatty foods, I will give myself a heart attack. Literally. Also, my body craves those fats because they're what it’s used to. But when I’m eating healthy foods regularly, my body changes its cravings. It is true—some days I just want a delicious, crunchy salad or a bowl of fresh fruit.
            
Looking over the top of the Mayan Ruins in Belize
after having hiked and climbed my way up.
 
Sometimes I have a moment of weakness. That is usually when I’m extremely hungry and in my car or in a hurry. That’s when a drive-thru feels like the only solution. The trick is to not let yourself get that hungry. Snack. All day. This is truly the best option and something I need to do more often. Snack on veggies, fruits, nuts, seeds, etc., and, I can’t emphasize this enough, drink your water! Sometimes we mistake hunger for thirst and by drinking a full glass of water before a meal, we will feel fuller faster and will be less likely to overeat. Not to mention your body needs water to function properly and digest food.
              I am also learning to find an exercise routine that fits my lifestyle. I enjoy the gym, but sometimes I make excuses and decide to head home rather than walk a half a block down the sidewalk to the fitness center for a quick workout. Once I’m there, I’m in the zone, but now and then my struggle is getting there. That is when a gym buddy comes in handy. You may have heard me mention my fellow gym-goer and colleague, Jackie-O (no, not the real Jackie, but that’s what I’m calling her here). The great thing about Jackie-O is we keep each other motivated. When she does well, I feel good and when I do well, she feels good. We want to see each other succeed and we keep each other accountable. Most of the time.

In addition to the gym, this month I started yoga at Mansfield’s Main Street Yoga. A few people have reminded me that yoga isn’t the way to lose weight. I understand that doing one hour of yoga once or twice a week isn’t going to help me drop fifty pounds, but it is one of the many ways I’m getting my body moving, and it will improve my flexibility and strength regardless of whether or not I lose weight. Also, if those people could feel the extreme soreness in my entire body after my first session of Balance Yoga, they might change their minds about that.
              I have also tried running. Full disclosure: I despise running. I loathe it. But that first day that I set out for a run this year, I felt my body working in ways it hasn’t worked since high school, and the next day I had sore muscles that I didn’t realize were used in running.
              This summer I plan to do a lot of hiking. This can combine my love for the outdoors with my need for movement. I recently took a trip to Belize and did quite a bit of hiking there. Some of the hikes were challenging (for someone as out of shape as me), so much that I doubted my ability to finish them. But when I did finish, soaked with sweat and out of breath, muscles burning through my body, I felt a sense of pride and accomplishment that made me want to do it again and again.
              This is what healthy living does for a person. It changes us into an even stronger version of ourselves. It boosts energy without supplements. It helps us lose weight without diet fads. It gets us excited to set new goals and crush them. It isn’t always about what hot product is on the market. It is a lifestyle change. For me, it is a process. I am learning new things every day and striving to make better choices, and not beat myself up when I slip up. But today I’m better than I was yesterday, and tomorrow I’ll be even stronger, and all I have to do is eat well and get moving. Oh, and drink plenty of water!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great reminder of things I've also found to be true. As I try to get back in shape and lose weight again, I can't give up! Great article.

    ReplyDelete